Privacy is a fundamental human right, but today this right is widely ignored. We are outraged.
We call on the Members of the European Parliament and the governments of all European Member States to enhance and enforce our privacy rights.
We expect the new European rules on data protection to ensure:
- The protection of all personal information including identifiers of hard- and software
- Recognition that every European citizen has the right to effectively control his or her personal information
- Explicit, strong and informed consent for processing of our personal data
- No more coupling of service usage to personal data use (no more 'take-it or leave-it' online)
- Transparency of data processing and data sharing practices.
- 'True' data portability to promote competition and reduce "lock-in" and achieve information self-determination
- Strong protection against secretive profiling of citizens, both on- and offline
- Effective redress mechanisms and sanctions imposed on companies and government bodies that do not respect the law
The future of Europe needs privacy, and we need you to defend this fundamental right now.
The declaration is no longer open to new signatories. If you are interested in the reform of the European privacy rules, please visit the European Campaign Portal for the Data Protection Reform
for more information.